Jesus paid the ultimate price for humanity’s sins through his death on the cross (Romans 5:8), paving the way for those who believe and repent, not only to experience forgiveness for sin but also eternal salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9).
“And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed” (1 Peter 2:24).
This is the good news of Jesus and he commands his followers to share it with the whole world.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:19-20).
Whether it’s in your immediate circles, neighborhoods, or globally, we are commissioned to share the good news of what Jesus Christ has done, is still doing, and will continue to do.
Jesus said, “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:14-16).
More than just light, Christ’s followers are also called to be the “salt” of the earth, preserving a world that would quickly turn rancid and corrupt without the saving grace and love of Jesus Christ (Matthew 5:13).
- Loving their neighbors (Mark 12:30-31); Taking care of the poor (Deuteronomy 15:11).
- Feeding the hungry (Isaiah 58:10); Clothing the needy (1 John 3:17).
- Being hospitable to strangers (Matthew 25:35); Healing the sick (Luke 10:9, James 5:14).
- Forgiving others (Matthew 6:14-15); Promoting justice and mercy (Micah 6:8).
- Promoting peace (Matthew 5:9; Romans 12:18); Caring for the captive, the prisoner, and the oppressed (Hebrews 13:3, Matthew 25:36).
- Jesus said, “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” (Matthew 25:40).
This is the purpose of the church and the power of Christ’s disciples, we are not just receivers of the gospel but participants in it. We are truly the hands and feet of a living Jesus who is still active in saving the world.