Menu Close

Radcliff City Council meets for called meeting

The Radcliff City Council met for a called meeting Monday evening.

The council approved an update to the Radcliff Police Department’s policies and procedures concerning the department’s Code of Conduct. During the May 11 council work session, RPD Chief Jeff Cross said the updates keep the policy in line with standards set by the Kentucky Association of Police Chiefs.

“Some policies have a complete standalone policy in itself that explains everything in detail, and then we have ‘rules and regulations’ that touches on basics and the dos and don’ts of work relationships within the facility and how we do things,” said Cross.

Council Member Pam DeRoche said Monday that summer is just around the corner.

“The last day of school looks to be the 21st of May, so we’ve got graduations coming up and I just want to wish all of our kiddos a happy summer, and the pool opens on May 23, so all of those kiddos can come join us at the swimming pool,” DeRoche said.

The Radcliff City Council will next meet June 8.

Area communities included in funding for recycling efforts

Area communities are among the recipients of $6 million in state funding for projects aimed at reducing waste in landfills and improving management of hazardous household waste.

Governor Andy Beshear last week announced the recipients of the funding which is supported through the Kentucky Pride Fund. 68 projects were selected from municipalities, universities, and fiscal courts across the commonwealth.

The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet says three different grants were awarded. The Recycling Grant provides funds for counties to purchase recycling equipment. The Composting Grant supports the purchase of equipment to improve composting and promote creative solutions for managing food waste, lawn waste, and other organic material. The Household Hazardous Waste Grant provides funding for countries to conduct annual drop-off events.

Recycling grants were awarded to the LaRue County Fiscal Court ($20,360) and the Meade County Fiscal Court ($1,181,560.20). Household Hazardous Waste grants were awarded to the Bullitt County Fiscal Court ($52,400) and the Hardin County Fiscal Court ($44,000).

Learn more about state recycling efforts and find the full list of recipients on the Kentucky Division of Waste Management’s website.

Man pleads guilty to E-Town ATM burglary

A Texas man has pleaded guilty in federal court after burglarizing an Elizabethtown ATM.

Jesse Kayembe of Houston on Thursday pled guilty to one count of Bank Larceny, for which a federal district court judge will determine the sentence in a hearing this September. Kayembe will also be required to pay restitution.

According to a release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Kentucky, Kayembe and others working with him stole a truck in Elizabethtown. The release states: “Kayembe drove the stolen truck to the WesBanco bank in Elizabethtown, hooked it to the ATM, and drove forward, ripping open the ATM door and vault. Kayembe and another individual took the cash drawers from the ATM, resulting in a loss to the bank of over $48,000.”

Elizabethtown Police Chief Jeremy Thompson stated in the release: “This conviction and sentencing is an incredible example of collaboration between local and federal law enforcement. Intelligence-led policing allowed us to know the suspects were in our area committing crimes. This should send a message to criminals everywhere; crime will not be tolerated in the commonwealth of Kentucky.” 

The U.S. Attorney’s Office says there is no parole in the federal system.