Authorities are looking for information after a break-in at an Elizabethtown church over the weekend. Elizabethtown Police say the incident occurred Friday around 1 am at First Christian Church, off of North Miles. Police say the individual threw an object through a window at the church, allowing them to enter the building. Authorities say several instruments were stolen as a result. No other details, including an ID on the suspect, have been released.
WQXE News
Your source for local community news, weekdays at 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30, 8, 9 and Noon.
A major project will temporarily displace visitor services at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Park. Park officials announced the installation of fire suppression systems last week, which will result in the temporary closure of the park’s visitor center.
Park Chief of Interpretation Stacy Humphries says the project is scheduled to be completed in roughly 4 months. The park has not had a system in place since the visitor center opened.
After setting high daily totals of COVID-19 cases last week, the state of Kentucky reported 2,085 new cases Monday, in addition to 21 new virus-related deaths. And while the case totals were lower Monday, the state’s incidence rate map reflected the continued spread, with 119 of 120 Kentucky counties labeled as red zone areas. The state’s positivity rate remained relatively unchanged at 12.3%. Local counties reported the following numbers from the state’s website: Hardin with 12, Meade with 3, and LaRue with 1.
After finishing the week with 15,000 cases over 3 days, the state reported over 7,000 new cases this weekend. On Saturday, officials reported 4,240 and 3,232 on Sunday. On Saturday, Governor Andy Beshear talked about the state’s recent escalation of cases.
The state’s positivity rate as of Sunday was nearly 12/5%. On Sunday, area counties reported the following numbers: 52 for Hardin, 25 for Meade, and 7 in LaRue.
Virtual instruction starts for Elizabethtown Community and Technical College students today. Interim Chief Academic Officer Darrin Powell says the college will start online but will hopefully transition back to a hybrid schedule next week.
Powell says the online offering this week is to allow any possible exposure to the virus over the holiday break to dissipate among students and staff.